Friday, October 30, 2009

The devil is in the details.

A few days ago I decided to stop researching Mungo's kidney disease on my own and joined an online community for feline CRF. I'd wanted to get some labs on him to see about proper dosing for the aluminum hydroxide powder, and when I saw that the groups were so full of knowledgeable people who could decipher the numbers, I went ahead and made the appointment. Right about that time Mungo took a bit of a downturn, and happened to be feeling poorly when I took him in for the blood work yesterday.

Well, the labs came back today and boy, do they look like crap. I got the fax at work and was sure I'd come home to see Mungo un- or barely- conscious, suffering in his little hidey place. Instead I come back to see him fussing for more food and looking no worse than he did yesterday. Last night he bolted on me after only about 50ml of fluid, probably because Zoe was circling and trying to horn in on the attention her uncle Manwich has been receiving. But he accepted a little over 150ml this morning before I went to work, so that helped I'm sure.

Practically everything that shouldn't be is elevated, and while the vet doesn't think he has much longer, he wants to treat the apparent infection that is the greatest threat to our boy.

I'm putting the labs up here since I can't post them in the CRF group page--not of general interest but anyway...

Today a stray memory resurfaced... a few Novembers ago, I mistook a leftover Halloween pumpkin we'd moved around to the back steps for what I believed to be Mungo waiting to come in. I don't know why it made me smile.

Hope he feels better in the morning.

Little orange gourd.



No comments:

Post a Comment