Saturday, October 17, 2009

Water Boy

Last month, I got sick for a couple of weeks and Mungo went almost five whole days without getting subcutaneous fluids, which he was supposed to be getting about every other day. I almost coralled him up to do it a couple of times but he was eating well and seemed comfortable, and at that point we were still having trouble making ourselves do it at all. The idea of stabbing him in the back with a needle made us both so anxious it made Mungo anxious too, and that made him very vocal about the needle insertion, much more so than I'd seen him be when getting fluids at the vet. I supposed I was doing a bad job of it, my husband felt it was cruel (even if it does make Mungo feel better), and so we were both avoidant of the duty.

Then he started having severe trouble pooing, as mentioned, and also started vomiting again, which had not been much of a problem since the thyroidectomy. He had been eating Royal Canin Feline LP packets (wet kidney diet) with relish, but had stopped eating those altogether and become very picky just before this. Poor Mawich got an enema at the vet that didn't help much, and after a day or two with dark stools and vomiting he was diagnosed with a GI bleed. Dr. M recommended Pepsid AC but I knew that neem worked well for Mungo's acid stomach in the past, so I went that route, with quick results. I also started giving him slippery elm gruel, which is not as strange as it sounds; a good page on its use for cats can be found here. Mungo gets a large dropper of each daily, neem bark in the AM and slippery elm in the PM, with a delay after both before giving food to allow it into his system. Though it was a rough week or so poo-wise for everyone concerned, he gradually improved.

He also had to start getting sub-cutaneous fluids every day at this point, and for about three weeks did very well on this routine. We started warming up the bags and wrapping him in a warm towel out of the dryer and it got so I could even give him fluids by myself. In fact, to save money I ordered several sets of lactated ringer solution and lines and needles from Drs. Foster and Smith. I realize now how much faith I had that Mungo would live at least a few more weeks. Today I'm not so sure, but then we've been here before, and Mungo has so often surprised us in the past.

He has not been eating much these last two days and seems quite pained by the fluids now. I'm trying a smaller gauge needle (20 instead of 18) and it hurts him a little less going in but takes longer to get 2 units into him, and he seems to find the 'water-boob' that collects on his side uncomfortable, which is new. I guess I'd be getting tired of it too. We thought maybe he would require fluids less often if he put a little weight back on, but without eating enough that won't happen. Nothing appeals to him now except fish, which he isn't supposed to have anymore as it's high in phosphorous. And he is allowing only limited petting and cuddling.

He seems to be in pain, and that is the line I drew for myself on whether or not it was getting close to time for the final vet visit. So this may end up being a short-lived blog, after all.

Let's hope not, though.


No comments:

Post a Comment